Monday, September 7, 2009

Simple Steps: An Overview

Are you looking to start a home-based yoga practice? Have you been looking for a MindBodySpirit routine to enlarge your daily lifestyle? It was this very impulse that got me started many years ago.

In 1977 there were no local yoga schools, studios, classes...no short trip to the gym.  All my training was sought after, and 99% of it involved travel.  With two small children at home, much of the time I was at a loss...except for my self-study. Ahhhh...The books of Richard Hittleman and Parahamansa Yogananda became my mentors.  Their writings, illustrations and philosophies filled my days, and enlarged my life in ways I can never repay.

Although today you have such support for simply hopping off to the local Y to take a class, I still believe that developing a home practice - a life practice - will support you in ways you will not regret.  I have a great idea to help you get involved right from where you are.

I have created a series of Simple Steps that you can take to incorporate each of the Eight Limbs of Yoga into your daily practice. I will post an ongoing series of practical applications that will give you bites size practices for each one.

Simple!

Collect them all and you will develop a well-rounded system of daily opportunities.

I wish someone had done this for me when I was looking for a reasonable way to address my spiritual growth while learning different esoteric and comprehensive systems.

Along with my regular ongoing blog topics, this series of SIMPLE STEPS are easy-to-digest bites of information that I will regularly post so you can follow along.

In short, SIMPLE STEPS will outline the foundation of an age-old yoga philosophy that is a blueprint for health, happiness and peace of mind.

Based on the eight-limbed path that forms the structural framework for a well-rounded yoga practice, no one element is elevated over another in hierarchical order. Yoga is not merely a physical practice. Each of the eight limbs is part of a holistic focus which eventually brings completeness to your system of bodymind health and wellbeing.

With SIMPLE STEPS you can develop a comprehensive daily practice for mind-body-spirit health.

In brief, the eight limbs of yoga are as follows:

1. Yama: The attitude we have to things and people outside ourself.
2. Niyama: Personal Observances; the way we relate inwardly to ourself.
3. Asana: Body Postures.
4. Pransyama: Breathing Exercises.
5. Pratyahara: Control of the senses.
6. Dharana: Concentration on inner perceptual awareness.
7. Dhyana: Devotation through meditation.
8. Samadhi: Union with the Divine. Joy!


To get the most from these posts, you can review them by coming back to the blog and clicking SIMPLE STEPS in the right hand column of labels, or click on the label for any of the eight limbs described above and you will see 5 different posts covering that particular limb.

You have 40 practices in all to choose from and grow with. This offering is my gift to you. Get well. Live. Love. Enjoy.

This offering is my gift to myself. If we can reach the "hundredth monkey" through something I have offered, then I have done myself a great service.



Today's Simple Step

Commit to your Practice.

This series will highlight The Eight Limbs with five examples of each.

That means you'll have 40 Simple Steps to follow. Game? Begin right now...

Till next time,

oooohhhhmmmmm

No comments: